Monday, April 13, 2015

A little about me.

I figured I'd give a bit of information on myself. For starters, I am a college student attending WMU for theatre tech. and design. My focus is scenic design, and it's been a dream of mine to design set for movies as well. but I also have a passion for costuming too. It wasn't until recently (the last couple years) that I found cosplay. Prior to finding out that this was a thing; I thought wearing a costume was only for Halloween. However, the concept of either making or buying a costume that emulates your favorite video game or movie character just for fun really appealed to me.

Stepping back in time a few years.... The year is 2010, me a fresh high school graduate attending a smaller private college for interior design. I've always had an eye for color and a style for things that made your home look nicer and reflect your aesthetic. And after three years I'd have my associates degree. Jump ahead three years and you'll find me faced with a dilemma. I had no desire to decorate old ladies houses for a commission for the rest of my life. What then can I do to apply what I've learned in this three years of schooling that I can do for money (that was the kicker for my parents.) The answer came to me when the SYFY channel had a one season long spin off of their hit show Heroes of Cosplay, called Hot Set.

It was that night after watching the first episode of Hot Set that it dawned on me that movies needed somebody with the knowledge base that I'd acquired at my small private college. My eyes were opened to a whole new world of possibilities. Jump forward in time another two years. Same me, but with a much greater understanding of what it means to follow your passions and working in a field that you love.

Speaking of which. That old wives tale that goes something like "if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life" is totally bogus. Yes you may like what you do, but by mom always says work is just another four letter word; and I think we all know some other four letter words.... don't we? haha

Anyways, I've got two more years to go until I graduate with my BFA, and I still haven't decided what my plans are after that. My options are finding another internship, trying to find employment, or looking at grad schools. The latter of the three options is a scary concept as I will have been in college for as long as most doctors and cannot dream of making that kind of money to start out with. So there is risk involved, but hey, when isn't there, right?

Back to cosplay. I have never cosplayed before, however, I am currently working on three costumes. And as the trouble with most creative types; the inspiration doesn't take sick days. As a result, I get new ideas for cool costumes to make (always make if you have the skills) daily. Unfortunately, going to school and working at jobs you hate is still a thing. Finding time to do it all is frustrating sometimes, as many of us with time consuming hobbies can attest.

My current projects include a cool Victorian driving coat that my mom and I started the Summer before I started at WMU. It is yet unfinished, but I love that thing mostly because as we grow older (for those of us who have good relationships with our parents) you start to cherish the time you can spend together. Especially so for me because the my future living arrangements are so up in the air because I don't know where i'll be in two years time with work or school.

In addition to the Victorian driving coat, I'm about half way done with my Jack of blades costume. For those who don't know, Jack of Blades is the main antagonist from the first Fable game that came out for the original Xbox; as well as Fable anniversary.
I do not own this image I obtained it from a Google search. If this is your image and would like it properly notified I would like to give you credit and to congratulate you on your amazing artwork. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment