Monday, April 13, 2015

Throwback to last Halloween Splicer From Bioshock

Halloween 2014
Splicer from Bioshock


As always, when you're planning to build anything the first thing you should get (after inspiration of course) is plenty of research images. These can be obtained with a simple Google search. These images will help you when making design decisions like what colors to paint it, or what is the actual shape of the object?
Screen shot from Bioshock, obtained from Google

 As you will see, I didn't pay close enough attention to my research images. In the mask that I made, the ears are too close. However, you can also (instead of trying to replicate the item exactly) opt for a little originality and make it your own. Both options are good.

Pipe weapon is just sections of 1 3/4" PVC that has been painted to look like oxidized metal.

The painting process went something like this..... (sorry, I don't have any pictures for this bit, but it's pretty easy)

Usually when you're trying to paint on shiny plastic you'd want to rough up the surface with some sand paper to give the paint something to stick to. I went a different route and decided to seal the final paint job with a water based sealant like Mod Podge. The steps for painting a metallic surface starts out with a metallic acrylic paint. I just happened to have a bronze/copper color on hand so that's what I used. I think in the game it would be more like an iron or lead pipe, but meh :) . I applied several layers with a foam brush making sure I applied the paint in circular motions around the pipe instead of lengthwise down the pipe. this helped give the illusion that the pipe had a brushed metal look to it.
something like this:

I do not own this image, I got it from a Google search.

After those paint layers dry, you could stop there and seal it with a water based sealant. I elected to make my new metal pipe look corroded and nasty instead. I did this by dry brushing a teal green color around the ends of the pipe and where the pipe connected to the fitting on the other end; and I think it made it look cooler. 


The Splicer mask is constructed out of the generic white plastic masks you can get from any craft store and cut to the bottom of the nose exposing the mouth portion. Once cut, the masks "bunny" features are filled in with air dry clay); this includes the cheek portions of the mask and the raised eyebrows. Once the clay is dry,

I used paper mache to get one solid shell over the entire mask. The ears of the mask are just cut out pieces of EVA craft foam that were had the same paper mache treatment. once the paper mache layer on the mask and the ears are dry I used hot glue to combine the two pieces. I also ended up doing a little paper mache over the seams where the mask met the ears to disguise them a bit better.


 then the mask is painted white. Then painted gold details are added around the edges of the mask are done.

 Over those two layers is added a dry brush of black to simulate aging. After the aging layer is added, a watered down red spatter layer is applied directly on top. This is of course to look like you've been doing what splicers do best in Rapture for a while. ;)


The only step left is to attach some ribbon straps to the sides of the mask with some hot glue and tie it around your head and you're ready to go!




No comments:

Post a Comment